- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup(1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease the 9 cups of a muffin tin. (makes more if using a cupcake tin)
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
3. After the melted butter has cooled slightly, lightly beat it with the milk and eggs.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients, until just combined. Lumps in the batter are fine, but don't overmix!
5.Fill the muffin cups about three quarters full.
6.Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden, when a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs. Don't overbake.
These look great in any lunch box, packed with cheese or ham.