Not German-Not Finnish Gingerbread
- 250g (3/4 cup) honey
- 250g (1&1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 150g (3/4 cup) butter
- 500g (4 cups) flour
- 2 tablespoons gingerbread spice OR your favorite combination of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- 2 tablespoon dutch cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons rum
1. On medium heat melt together the honey,brown sugar and butter, let cool once sugar has melted.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour,spices,cocoa powder.
3. Mix together the flour and honey mixture, then add the egg, baking powder and rum.
4. Place the dough in an air tight container and let it rest overnight, at room temperature.
5. Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F.
6. Roll out the dough as thin as you like-if you like thin crisp geinger bread, roll it out thin, if you like the thicker variety roll it out thicker. I roll mine about 4mm thick. Cut out using your favorite (or seasonal) cookie cutter
7. Bake f0r 15-17 minutes until lightly darkened around the edges.
If you feel like it you can decorate them with royal icing and pipe initials,decoration or whatever else.