make a great combination for a cupcake. These are so delicious topped with frosting and coconut, but they are a great little treat by themselves too. I don't make my own shredded coconut, because it is something that is better to buy from the store, and one of the few things I don't make myself. I think that adding raisins might be good in this one, but I haven't tried that before.
Adapted from 'Muffins' by Zabert Sandman
- 1&1/2 cups(200g) flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (75g) granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons oil (such as sunflower or canola)
- 3/4 cup (150g) plain yogurt
- 100ml orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (Orange liquor)
Pre-heat your oven to 350F/180C
1. Combine the flour, shredded coconut, orange zest,baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
2. In a second bowl combine the egg,sugar,oil,yogurt,orange juice and Grand Marnier.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
4. Grease (or use paper liners) your cupcake tin, then fill in the dough about 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden on top.
To make Frosting:
1.Combine 1 cup(200g) sugar with 1/3 cup orange juice (or orange juice concentrate if you're lucky enough to have that) with 2 tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of cream of tartar. You can add food coloring at this point if you like. Boil the mixture for two minutes, until bubbly and a syrup consistency.
2. Using electric beaters, beat two egg whites, whilst slowly, drizzling in a thin stream, adding the cooled syrup mixture.
3. Beat for 8 minutes until very thick.
4. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle on shredded coconut for a little extra touch.