Monday, October 10, 2011

Make it Yourself

Granola Bars
You may  be thinking: Why in the world would you make your own granola bars? (Maybe your not) This is not one of those things I make from scratch (although I make almost everything from scratch) so that I know what I put in it, changed it to fit my taste, although granola bars are a perfect example for this, I for instance don't like raisins. The simple reason that I make Granola bars is because I love them. You may now be thinking, well why don't you just go to the store and buy some then? THEY DON'T EXIST! I think that anyone, in desperate need for granola bars, would be happy to make them. Don't get me wrong though, they sell plenty of cereal bars and things of the sort, but you can' actually buy any real granola bars. My first unbuyable need was granola. Which may sound weird because here in Switzerland they have Muesli which is really similar and really good, it just isn't the same thing. So I make granola all the time and it's amazing, and I tried to make granola bars today, and got carried away when I was adding oats,thinking it would be fine but it turned out so dry that  it crackled into small pieces. I've decided to post the original adaption of the recipe, not what I did, 1) because it didn't work,2) because I don't even know how much more I added.

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen:

  • 1 2/3 cups old fashioned rolled oats 
  • 1/2  cup granulated sugar 
  • 1/3 cup oat flour 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup chopped almonds
  • 1(or 1/2) cup chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons honey

This recipe is super-simple: Dump all the ingredients in and bowl and combine (and don't think it's too sticky like I did) and bake at 350F/ 180C (8"x8"x2" baking pan for thick bars) for 30-40 minutes.

Although my didn't make Granola bars I just use it as granola now, because it crumbled up, but it still tastes delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment