Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Belgian Waffles

This recipe is the soul reason I bought a turnable waffle iron. I have tried so many times to make these in your standard European thin heart shape waffle maker. I hoped and hoped, (and every time they sold Belgian waffles I would eat a ton) then I found a place to order it online. Ironically it's actually from a German company so I didn't have to ship it all the way from the States, so last year, I bought my own Christmas present and by January I had started making waffles. That's why I'm actually surprised that I haven't posted this recipe yet, although part of the reason is because I always eat the waffle before I have a chance to take a picture (they are so good I can't stop eating them) This recipe actually came with the instruction manual, and usual I don't use most of the recipes in them but this one is absolutely delicious, I really hope you try it, but it does have yeast so I takes a while to make.(I make these on the weekend)

Belgian Waffles:

  • 355ml water, lukewarm
  • 1&1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 360g(3cups) all purpose flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 75g (1/3 cup) white sugar
  • 230 ml milk
  • 100g (1 stick) butter,melted and cooled
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Plenty of powdered sugar for generous dusting
Method:
  1. In a small bowl combine yeast, half the water, and a pinch of sugar and set aside until the yeast becomes bubbly and foamy (5-10minutes)
  2. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then set aside.
  3. Beat together the egg yolks and the sugar until the mixture becomes light and airy, then add the yeast,water,milk and melted butter and whisk until thoroughly combined.
  4. Then add the flour and salt and beat till a batter forms (no lumps this time)
  5. fold in the beaten egg whites.
  6. Cook in your waffle iron for 3-4 minutes and top with powdered sugar before serving.

I could only take a picture of part of a waffle this time, the other three parts seemed to have been misplace before had the chance to take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment