Monday, November 7, 2011

Marshmallow Air

Make it yourself
It is not that hard to make marshmallows at home, because you really just need an electric mixer and some corn syrup,sugar,etc. If you don't have any corn syrup home-made takes on a whole new dimension, and since I have made marshmallows before (a half-accident) I didn't see any problems with it. The last time I made it by feel, (with some inspiration from a fluffy frosting recipe, which reminds me of marshmallows) but this time I was holding the packets of gelatin in my hand, remembering the last batch, which practically turned into an enormous marshmallow in the mixer. Turns out this time I used too little gelatin and I have a blob of strawberry marshmallow sitting around now. So I'm posting the recipe wit the added(right amount-hopefully) of gelatin in it.

Strawberry Marshmallows:

  • 3 egg yolks
  • 10g gelatin
  • 200g (1 cup) caster/white sugar
  • 1&1/3 cup water boiling
  • 2 cups strawberries (I use frozen)
  • Powdered Sugar and Cornstarch
Method:
1. In a blender combine the strawberries and 1/3 cup of the boiling water. Then strain the mixture to get rid of any seeds.
2. Over low heat, combine the sugar,water and gelatin and cook for about 5 minutes until it comes to a boil. Then add the strawberries, and wait for it to boil up once more, then take off the heat.
3. Beat your egg whites until soft peaks are about to form, then (continue beating the egg whites) add the strawberry-gelatin mixture slowly to the egg whites.
4. Sift cornstarch and powdered sugar onto a silicone tin/mold then 'pour' in your marshmallow mixture, evening out the top with a spatula, then dust with more confectioners sugar. 
5. Let the marshmallows set and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment