Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

I think I set a new World Record-
for the world's thinnest pumpkin pie. Not something exactly to be proud of and not something I was planning on making Thanksgiving. It happened through two fatal moments: 1 being that I wanted to half the recipe because we were only three people (thanksgiving isn't really celebrated here, it isn't even a holiday) 2 I wanted to use my new tart (it wasn't even a pie dish!) dish, which is a lot bigger than the one I planned on using in the first place, which was about half the size. So I don't know about getting in the World book of Records but it still tasted amazing (although I really can't remember the last time I had some real pumpkin pie.) It's pretty rare to find Pumpkin pie let alone pumpkin puree, and if you tell someone the pie, a dessert even, they give you the weirdest look ever. Like pumpkin really? Anyway I didn't really use a specific recipe, all I used was a simple recipe but changed the spices, because apart from the fact that they don't sell pumpkin pie mix, I think it's so unnecessary.
So here's what I used:

  • 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
  • 12 ounces evaporated milk
  • 15 ounces pumpkin puree
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
The recipe in itself is easy: just mix all the ingredients until well combined. Your supposed to pre-heat the oven to 425F/220C , then turn it down fifteen minutes after you put it in the oven, then bake ate 350F/180C for another 40 minutes. Turns out if you pie is really really thin like mine was, most of that time is completely unnecessary.

So really, I can't be expected to be able to make a good pumpkin pie, because I just can't remember the last time I had one. And it's not like I'll be running into any in Europe anyway. Still tasted delicious though- that's what counts right?

1 comment: