Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sweet Potato Waffles

Waffle Wednesday
Yes, I do love potatoes. Even in waffles, or pancakes, or cupcakes or cake, you name I'll eat it with Potatoes. Did you know that there are so many different varieties of potatoes that you can build a whole diet around it. There are odd shapes and colors that would open up to a whole new range of possibilities. I only have acces to a few kinds of 'yellow' poatoes, sweet potatoes and those small purplish colored ones. I actually find the purple oones a pain to peel, because they have so  many little bumps and crevasses. But since pumpkin waffles are made with pumpkin puree, which isn't really all that different of a texture compared to sweet potatoes puree, why not just use that instead? I heard/saw/found out that in the U.S. you sometimes eat your sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. I tried they were good, but everyone else refuses to eat it insiting it is dessert. SO why not make waffle, that would be acceptable and may even be able to be seen as something other than a dessert. ( the sweet potato and marshmallow bit)  So here it is, my recipe:

Sweet Potato Waffles

  • 50g (1/4 cup) brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons conrstarch
  • 1 &1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 eggs
  • 250ml (1 cup) milk
  • 1 cup sweet potato puree (cooked and drained Sweet Potato)
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup mini-marshmallows
Method:
Pre-heat your Waffle Iron
1. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, flours,baking powder,mini marshmallows and cinnamon in a large bowl, in a second bowl combine milk,pumpkin puree,eggs yolks and butter. 
2. Seperate the eggs, then beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. 
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, then fold in the egg whites.
Cook for 3-4 minutes, and be sure to grease your waffle iron really well.

 I have no picture to go with this because they were sooo good that they were gone before I even had a chance to take a pictue but I bet I'll be making it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment