Friday, November 4, 2011

Meringues

French Friday
Meringues are slightly overrated, I think because people think they are so difficult to make, maybe it's because they are so light,fluffy and cloud-like. They are actually incredibly easy. Unbelievably easy, and only requires three simple ingredients that you probably already have at home. I don't like mine in a uniform shape, I just spoon it on a baking sheet and poke it with a spoon until it's the most random shape you can come up with. After I made them all beautifully weird, I went looking for almonds. I like putting almonds on top of my meringues, but while I was looking for those I came across other things, and decided it wouldn't be wrong to add them to the meringues. (Turns out there weren't any almonds) Well I'm not sure if they'll be any good or not but I ended up going with raisins,dried cranberries,coconut,hazelnuts and some walnuts that I just got.

Meringues:

  • 4 egg whites
  • 200g (1 cup) white caster sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • Almonds,hazelnuts,walnuts,coconut,raisins and dried cranberries
Method:
Pre-heat your oven to 70C
1. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of sugar until soft peaks form, then add the sugar, one tiny teaspoon at a time. (don't get frustrated by how long this takes, I got very frustrated myself but don't be tempted to add it all at once)
2. Then spoon (or pipe if you're a perfectionist) them on a baking sheet and bake for 2 hours. Then leave them in the oven to cool off for 3 hours.

So mine are in the oven right now, and they are not done yet, not nearly. I have the feeling mine are far too big, if you make them smaller you would probably need a lot less time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment