Monday, November 21, 2011

Vanilla Blue Oreos

So it's another monday and it happens to be my birthday too. I love birthday cakes but this year I didn't feel like having one ( I didn't want to make my own, and I didn't get one) and since I did want to make myself a homemade recipe and I love oreos - I just decided to make them. And let me tell you they are way better than the store bought kind, although they are not exactly the same thing. Since I was making them myself I could color them so I added some blue coloring and they turned out gorgeous. The first batch turned out way to fat so they look a lot more like whoopie pies than they do like oreos. I found this recipe at Handle the Heat, although I have the feeling that most oreo recipes originate back to Smitten Kitchen. 
Oreos (from Handle the Heat)
For the cookies:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 large egg
Filling
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Method:
Pre-heat your oven to 375F
1. Cream together the butter and sugar until just combined. 
2. Add the egg, and mix until light and fluffy.
3. Then add the flour,baking soda,baking powder  and cocoa.
4. Form the dough into little balls, and then flatten them out well.
5. Bake for 7-8 minutes, then lay them on a wire rack to cool.
6. In a large bowl mix together the butter,sugar and vanilla. Tint it a pretty color too if you want. 



No comments:

Post a Comment