http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqv14cDy98Q and I think the fact that mine went all wrong has more to do with me than the recipe.
- 130g icing sugar
- 100g butter+250 g
- 500ml milk
- 20g salt
- 3 eggs
- 1kg flour+200g
- 50g fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Melt 100g of the butter, then let cool slightly
- In your mixer combine the melted butter,eggs,milk,sugar,salt and vanilla.
- Crumble in the fresh yeast and mix thoroughly.
- Then add the flour and mix until a dough forms.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and let proof in a warm place.
- Combine 250g butter with 200g flour and place in the freezer.
- Roll out the frozen butter-flour mixture to a small rectangle.
- Roll out the dough to a rectangle about three times the size of the butter-flour square.
- Place the butter-flour square in the middle of the dough rectangle and fold the dough over(so it looks like and envolope.
- Roll it out to twice the size, then fold into three.
- Roll it out triple the size then roll into three again. Repeat.
- Roll out the dough to about 1cm, and cut lengthwise so you have long rectangles, then cut vertical so you have rectangles.
- You can now either leave it as a rectangle to make pain au chocolat or cut each rectangle in half diagonally so that it makes two triangles.
- Roll the triangles up from the wide end to make croissants. In the rectangle put a strip of chcolate on both ends of the rectangle and roll towards the middle until both meet. Place seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Let the shapes proof for 1-2 hours until risen.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.